Tuesday, November 15, 2011


I have started going to the hospital almost everyday with Anissa to the baby ward to help her hand out bananas to all the babies and mothers, if there is enough.  My heart is starting to break for that place. Its heart wrenching to see the children sick and helpless, some of whom have parents with them, but there are many more who have been left there abandoned.

There is this one little guy (we call him Carter when we talk about him) who we found out this last week that his mother has abandoned him and went to Port A Prince. I cant even imagine how you could leave your child alone in a bed at the hospital with no one to comfort or hold him when he is sick. Every time we go we make sure we give him love and attention.  Sometimes he smiles but other times he is not feeling well and you can barley get a smirk out of him.  Though, it's all worth it to see that little guy smile.  The warmth and joy felt in my heart is indescribable. Carter is just looking for attention and love, and it's so hard to leave him because he just clings to us and cries when we leave him all alone in that bed. All that he wants is someone to love him and care for him.

God brought me back to a scripture that I have been reading a lot lately and reminded me that he knew and allowed it to happen even if we don't understand.

Psalm 139:13-16


 13 For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book
   before one of them came to be.


I'm sure at some point most of us have wondered why God allows someone to be sick their entire life. We have probably asked God why He would allow someone to suffer when we ask, "wouldn't it have been better for then to not have been born?" I started to feel like this for this little one who has been abandoned. But God reminded me that He created every single cell in our mothers womb and everything he made is wonderful. Even though we might not understand we should be praising Him that He loved us enough to give us life. God also knew us and saw every part of us before we were even formed. All of our days were planned for us before we were even one day old. He knew the good and the bad would happen in our lives and the things we would choose to do that would hurt Him but he still chose to give us life. 

Instead of wondering "Why" lets thank him for what He did. We are all sinners but because of His love for us He came to earth and died on the cross so that we could have eternal life with Him in forever. John 3:16-17


I myself am also thankful that God has given me life and allowed me to come to Haiti and be able to share His love to these children through the simplest things like a smile or just holding a child who needs the love and attention.  





No comments:

Post a Comment